Everything went well, right? or did i get screwed?
Create Post

Everything went well, right? or did i get screwed?

Good morning Marines,

before i went up to the MEPS, my recruiter had me sign an open contract, and he said everyone does that before they swear in. is that true? Later, after i got back he looked at my ASVAB scores and sent me a list of all the job fields i am qualified for (AG - flight crew, CE - combat support, DD - Intel etc.) and he had me pick my top three (which were the ones i listed as examples; AG, CE, and DD.) i have not heard anything about an MOS since then. when do i find that out exactly? i asked my recruiter and all he said was "we take care of that." Will i find out before i ship out?

yes this is normal but what he gave you sounds like a list of jobs avalible right now. keep on him about it because you have to sign one dont worry im sure you will get one of the top three. but keep on him till you get an answear this is your life make sure you get the info dont go blind you get what im saying?

Back in 1967 none of knew our MOS until our DI's read them out load to us; the morning of graduation. The world sure has changed!

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Back in 1967 none of knew our MOS until our DI's read them out load to us; the morning of graduation. The world sure has changed!
    I have a vague cloudy memory of an aviation 4 year contract where you could pick your mos in the late 1963 time frame. But I wonder if that is a true memory or not?

The lack of choice is why I ended up in the Navy. That and the way the Marine Recruiters eyes lit up when I asked him about a Marine Medic MOS.

Once he was done describing these crazy Navy guys that wore Marine uniforms I knew for sure there was only one job for me.

OMG, no you didn't... OMG, NO you didn't... awe sheet that's fn crazy

If you signed an open contract you have ZERO control over your MOS. You could end up as Refrigeration Tech or Motor T or Sh*T Burner, and probably WILL because the Marine Corps is downsizing and doesn't need you for any of the popular jobs.

Refuse to ship out unless you SEE your MOS of choice IN WRITING on your contract.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Same, but it was at ITR at Pendleton.

All I knew, was that I was Aviation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunningham6199 View Post
    Good morning Marines,

before i went up to the MEPS, my recruiter had me sign an open contract, and he said everyone does that before they swear in. is that true? Later, after i got back he looked at my ASVAB scores and sent me a list of all the job fields i am qualified for (AG - flight crew, CE - combat support, DD - Intel etc.) and he had me pick my top three (which were the ones i listed as examples; AG, CE, and DD.) i have not heard anything about an MOS since then. when do i find that out exactly? i asked my recruiter and all he said was "we take care of that." Will i find out before i ship out?
    All active duty enlistments sign an open contract initially. We are not allowed to ship new recruits to boot camp on this open contract. PERIOD.

Once you submit your three choices, your recruiter gives them to his boss. Then they are sent up to the headquarters where a higher ranking Marine is in charge of assigning jobs to all new recruits in the area. Right now, a typical number of new recruits for a recruiting area per month is around 70. They are all trying to get their jobs assigned too. There is probably one person who assigns them, who also does a number of different duties. Your request is up there, it just needs to be processed by someone behind the scenes, of which your recruiter has no control over. Understand that he is the lowest ranking Marine in his chain of command. I know you are anxious, but do your recruiter a favor and don't bug him about it. He only gets yelled at when he keeps complaining about your job not being assigned yet.

You have to trust the system. It does work, and legally you MUST have a job program assigned before you ship to recruit training. Your recruiter is not trying to screw you over. This is SOP.

Thread Information